Wood County Home and Infirmary

Also known as: Wood County Historical Museum, Adam Phillips Park
N of Bowling Green at 13660 County Home Rd., Bowling Green, Ohio



West wing

Photo taken by Jim Allen in August 2013



Street View 


The Infirmary, also known as the poorhouse or simply "The Home," is one of the last county poorhouse sites in Ohio where nearly all of the original structures still stand. The main building, constructed in 1868 with outbuildings added over the years, served as home for the county's poor, sick, orphaned, elderly, and mentally ill. The Lunatic House was added in 1885 as a facility for the violently insane. The Infirmary operated as a self-sufficient farm where residents contributed according to their ability. Throughout its 102 years of service, the Infirmary had an average population of eighty residents, swelling to over 140 during the Great Depression of the 1930s. The site closed as a poorhouse in 1971 but reopened in 1975 as the Wood County Historical Center and Museum. - from the historical marker

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 16, 1979
Reference number
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Victorian: Italianate
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic functions
Institutional housing; Hospital
Current functions
Museum; Park
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1868; 1885
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2
Non-contributing buildings: 3
Non-contributing structures: 11


19th Century (37,780)
Bowling Green, Ohio (7)
Brick (42,462)
Building (4,394)
Built 1868 (361)
Built during 1860s (3,756)
E.O. Fallis (4)
Exotic Revival (7,381)
Have Street View (46,145)
Italianate (5,114)
Limestone (8,192)
Mid 19th Century Revival (7,958)
Ohio (5,146)
Owned by local government (11,500)
Slate (5,715)
Victorian (19,698)
Wood County, Ohio (48)

Update Log 

  • September 5, 2018: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
  • August 8, 2013: Updated by Jim Allen: Added description
  • August 8, 2013: New photos from Jim Allen