Downtown Chevron Station

Demolished
300 E. Clinton Ave., Huntsville, Alabama

Photo 

NRHP Original App Photos 2 Page 1

Photo taken by Linda Bayer, April 1979

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"The Downtown Chevron is a detached, one-story brick structure built as a filling station in 1919. It is located on a corner lot, and the original square building has a rectangular wing extending diagonally toward the corner to provide easy drive-in access from both streets. The low, hipped roof extends beyond the building to provide shelter for the gas pumps and has deep eaves with exposed rafters underneath. The doors have three vertical lights in the transoms, and the windows also have three vertical lights over a large single pane. In 1929 the station was enlarged to the east along Clinton by the addition of a garage large enough for two cars One of the garage doors has been bricked in now. In 1938 another extension was made to provide one large garage space at the end of the previous one. The garage area has a flat roof and multipaned windows set in metal sashes. The entire station is set on a concrete foundation, and the ceiling and partitions in the office are of beaded board."

Adapted from the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form prepared by unknown parties for the Huntsville Planning Commision, April 1979. A link to the document is listed below under "Sources."

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 22, 1980
Reference number
80000707
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Commercial
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Road-related
Current function
Road-related
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1919

Update Log 

  • March 4, 2019: Updated by J.R. Manning: Added description and photograph
  • March 4, 2019: New photo from J.R. Manning

Sources