Detroit Masonic Temple

500 Temple Ave., Detroit, Michigan

Zion Lodge No. 1, F. & A. M.

Photos 

Aug. 2012

Photo taken by Rattrak

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Michigan Historcial Marker reads: On April 27, 1764, the Provincial Grand Master of the Free and Accepted Masons in New York issued a charter to a Masonic lodge in Detroit. The Royal American Regiment's Lieutenant John Christie was the master of the lodge, Michigan's first. The Detroit Masons first adopted the name Zion Lodge in 1794 when they operated under a new charter from Quebec. With American occupation of Michigan, the lodge again came under the Grand Lodge of New York, which issued a new charter in 1806 to "Zion Lodge No. 1" of Detroit. This name was retained by the Grand Lodge of Michigan when it was formed in 1826. Zion Lodge suspended operations during the War of 1812 and during the anti-masonic agitation on 1829-1845, but each time its functions were resumed.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 28, 1980
Reference number
80001920
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Late Gothic Revival; Other architectural type; English Gothic
Areas of significance
Art; Engineering; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Clubhouse
Current function
Clubhouse
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1922; 1926

Update Log 

  • September 20, 2012: New photo from Rattrak
  • June 19, 2012: New Street View added by wdzinc

Sources