Delafield Fish Hatchery

Main St., Delafield, Wisconsin

Former fish hatchery, now a local park asset

Photos 

Overview Looking Northwest

In the late 19th and early 20th Centuries, the State of Wisconsin recognized a budding dependence on what might be called tourism today, and the necessity of strong conservation measures to prevent depletion of game fish. This was the state's second of 12 fish hatcheries built by 1922 to support those efforts. (The first one, built in 1887 on Fish Hatchery Road in Fitchburg, was the first such hatchery in the United States.)

17 state hatcheries are still in operation. The Delafield Fish Hatchery was converted to a research facility in 1953 and closed in 1980.

The current hatcheries are in need of $150 million in renovations, and several are in danger of closing.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in May 2012

Enlarge

Map 

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 13, 1981
Reference number
81000064
Architectural style
Victorian
Areas of significance
Conservation; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Fishing facility or site
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1907
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • January 10, 2015: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status
  • May 31, 2012: New photos from J.R. Manning

Sources