Arcade Building

1332 Main St., Columbia, South Carolina

Photos 

Arcade Building, Facade-Main St.

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Arcade Building was constructed in 1912 by the Equitable Real Estate Company, a group of Columbia businessmen that included Edwin Wales Robertson, a prominent Columbia banker and real estate developer. This is the only enclosed arcade building in Columbia. The building is a significant example of the second Renaissance Revival Style. It is distinguished by the quality of its terra cotta and marble detailing, and by its well-proportioned composition. The building is reputed to have cost $200,000 to build and equip. Its plan is L-shaped, with identical facades on Main Street and Washington Street. The building is two stories tall, with terra cotta and marble facades and a reinforced concrete structural system. A central passageway is carried through the building, with small offices and stores arranged along its sides. A skylight lights the passage. The second story has an open balcony, with terracotta faced pillars. The ornamental details of the exterior are repeated on the interior. Listed in the National Register November 17, 1982. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 17, 1982
Reference number
82001525
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1912

Update Log 

  • October 3, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources