Ladies of the Maccabees Building

901 Huron Ave., Port Huron, Michigan

Photos 

Overview, Front of Building (South Face).

This unusually large and fancy building is located a short distance north of downtown in a largely residential area, making it seem slightly out of place. It is a very noticeable landmark, located right at a split in the roads, where the main road (Pine Grove) bends to the left, and a residential road branches off to the right.

Photo taken by Nathan Holth in August 2010

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Information About This Historic Site 

From Michigan Historic Sites Online

Property Type stone building
Historic Use SOCIAL
Current Use COMMERCE/TRADE
Style Classical Revival
Architect/Builder GEORGE H. HARVEY

Narrative Description
Basically square in plan, the Neo-Classical Revival building presents a high, rusticated foundation, smooth finished ashlar limestone walls and a shallow dome. Each facade is symmetrically designed with a slightly projecting, three-bay central pavilion flanked by a single bay to each side. The main facade, which faces south, is dominated by a two-story portico featuring four free-standing Corinthian columns, a full entablature and closed pediment. The entablature continues around as the cornice for the building and is topped with a parapet wall designed to resemble a balustrade. The parapet wall hides the low pitched roof and shallow dome.

Statement of Significance
The Ladies of the Maccabees Building, built in 1906, is significant as an excellent example of Neo-Classical Revival architecture in St. Clair County and as the State headquarters of the Ladies of the Modern Maccabees. Organized in 1886 as an Axillary of the Knights of the Modern Maccabees, the Ladies of the Modern Maccabees was the oldest, largest, and most active woman's fraternal and beneficiary society in the State at the time its Port Huron headquarters was built. The building was designed to incorporate the hallmarks of the Neo-Classical Revival style rendering an impressive and monumental edifice for this pioneer woman's organization.

Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1906
Registry Type(s) 04/22/1982 National Register listed
11/16/1982 State Register listed
Site ID# P24667

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 22, 1982
Reference number
82004469
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Civic
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1906

Update Log 

  • August 27, 2010: Essay added by Nathan Holth
  • August 27, 2010: New photo from Nathan Holth
  • August 26, 2010: New photos from Nathan Holth
  • July 2, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth

Sources