Eastman Dental Dispensary

Also known as: Eastman Gardens
800 E. Main St., Rochester, New York

Former UR Dental Clinic and School, now serving as a residencial building

Photos 

New Sign

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in June 2020

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Dental Dispensary was dedicated in 1917 after being built with funds donated by George Eastman. It served the University of Rochester as a clinic for Rochester and as a dental school. In 1978, the building was abandoned for a new structure on the UR Medical Center.

The building stood empty until 2007 when it was purchased by Scott Donaldson, a local entrepreneur, who developed the building into 57 apartments for senior citizens. The facility is now called Eastman Gardens.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 28, 1983
Reference number
83001708
Architectural styles
Victorian: Renaissance; Other architectural type; Italian Renaissance
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Clinic
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1917

Update Log 

  • July 10, 2020: New photos from J.R. Manning
  • July 10, 2020: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description, and added photos
  • July 10, 2018: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett

Sources