Court Tennis Building

Newberry and Park Sts., Aiken, South Carolina

Photo 

Court Tennis Building

Photo taken by Michael Miller in October 2018

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Aiken Club, an exclusive menís club, was incorporated in 1898 and constructed its court tennis building about 1902. Court tennis, played on an indoor court utilizing the walls and ceiling, is an elite sport originated in France over 700 years ago. The Court Tennis Building is one of only nine courts in the United States. Constructed ca. 1902 and remodeled ca. 1936, it is a two-story rectangular brick building with a hip-on-hip roof. The Newberry Street elevation (northwest elevation) features seven bays delineated by buttressed wall pilasters. All bays have double eight-over-eight windows in the upper portion. The southeast and southwest elevations feature one-story frame, shingled wings. The wing on the southeast connects the Court Tennis Building to the Aiken Club Room, a small one-story, frame, gable roofed cottage that was moved to its present location ca. 1928. The Aiken Club Room was originally part of the Aiken Club building which, along with stables, a squash court, servantís quarters and the tennis court made up the Aiken Club complex. Early members of the Aiken Club included Thomas Hitchcock and William C. Whitney. Listed in the National Register November 27, 1984. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 27, 1984
Reference number
84000513
Area of significance
Entertainment/Recreation
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Civic; Sport facility
Current functions
Civic; Sport facility
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant years
ca. 1902; 1936

Update Log 

  • October 23, 2018: New photo from Michael Miller
  • August 15, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • June 6, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"

Sources