Pabst Brewery Saloon

Also known as: Straight Narrow Way Missionary Baptist Church, Zion Rock Missionary Baptist Church
1338--1340 W. Juneau Ave., Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Former Pabst Brewing Company "Tied House" now serving as a Baptist Church

Photos 

Overview Looking Northeast

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in November 2013

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

This was a "tied house" built and owned by the Pabst Brewing Company. Tied houses developed in the late 19th Century as competition in the brewing business intensified. Pabst (and the other Milwaukee brewers)operated tied houses around the country until 1933. With the repeal of the 18th Amendment and the Volstead Act, it became illegal for breweries to own retail outlets.

This building shows several features that were common to Pabst tied houses, the castellated cornice, the tower resembling a castle tower and the cast roundel in the fašade. In the center of the roundel is a hops leaf with the initial "B" superimposed to honor the Best family, founders of the brewery. (Jacob Best was Captain Pabst's father in law.)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 16, 1986
Reference number
86000125
Architectural styles
Victorian: Gothic; Other architectural type; Neo-Gothic
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Restaurant
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1896

Update Log 

  • November 13, 2013: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status, Added Description and Added Photos

Sources