Claudius Scott Cottage

CR 1182, Eastover, South Carolina

Photo 

Claudius Scott Cottage, Right Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

The Claudius Scott Cottage is significant architecturally as one of the few remaining intact antebellum cottages in lower Richland County. The Greek Revival mode cottage was built ca. 1840 by Claudius Scott. Scott and his business partner, James Trumble, supposedly built the railroad at Kingville, although no written credible evidence has been found to support this claim. They did in fact contract to construct a railroad trestle over the Wateree River. The cottage was built as a summer residence in the Sandhills of Richland County. Scott, like other local planters, hoped to escape the afflictions of malaria, prevalent in the bottom land areas along the Congaree and Wateree Rivers. It is one-story, frame residence with a stuccoed brick pier foundation, weatherboard siding, and a gable roof sheathed in sheet metal. The fašade is characterized by a small pedimented porch with four wooden pillars and a simple balustrade. There is a small frame addition on both the right and rear elevations. Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 27, 1986
Reference number
86000534
NR name
Scott, Claudius, Cottage
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Camp
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
ca. 1840

Update Log 

  • October 8, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" and Imported Photo
  • October 8, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources