General Federation of Women's Clubs Headquarters

Also known as: Miles Mansion
1734 N St., NW., Washington, District of Columbia

Map 

Description 

This was the first permanent headquarters for the General Federation of Women's Clubs (GFWC). Founded in 1890, GFWC moved to this building in 1922, when it became involved in conservation projects and community programs. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 4, 1991

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 4, 1991
Reference number
91002057
Architectural style
Victorian: Renaissance
Areas of significance
Social History; Conservation; Education; Health/Medicine
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Clubhouse
Current function
Clubhouse
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 2