Kahiki, The

Demolished
Also known as: The Kahiki Supper Club, Inc.
3583 E. Broad St., Columbus, OH

Photos 

Photo from Columbus Underground

View this photo at columbusunderground.com

Map 

Description 

Kahiki Supper Club is a legend in the tiki world a massive polynesian palace in the frozen land of Columbus. Kahiki founders Bill Sapp and Lee Henry started work on the Kahiki after their bar, the Grass Shack, burned down on this site in 1959. It closed in 2000.

The Kahiki's building was a classic example of mid-century polynesian pop architecture, and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997. Despite this, Walgreen's purchased the building and bulldozed it.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 8, 1997
Reference number
97001461
Areas of significance
Entertainment/Recreation; Architecture
Levels of significance
State; International
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Restaurant
Current function
Restaurant
Period of significance
1950-1974
Significant year
1961
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Tags 

20th Century (29,077)
Building (4,201)
Built 1961 (32)
Built during 1960s (339)
Columbus, Ohio (158)
Franklin County, Ohio (361)
Have Street View (43,076)
Ohio (5,095)
Private owner (54,396)
Ralph Sounik (1)
Stone (26,162)

Update Log 

  • May 31, 2018: Updated by Brian Manville: Added description
  • June 19, 2012: Updated by wdzinc: Landmark has been demolished