Curtiss-Wright Hangar

Also known as: Owens Field Municipal Airport Hangar
1400 Jim Hamilton Blvd., Columbia, South Carolina

Photo 

Curtis-Wright Hanger, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Curtis-Wright Hangar, the first building erected at Owens Field in 1929, represents the contributions of air transportation to the city of Columbia and the state of South Carolina. The hangar grew and changed along with the airport and aviation history. It was first used to house airplanes for passenger and airmail services, then became the headquarters of the South Carolina Aeronautics Commission, later was used as space for the civilian flight training program, and finally was used for general aircraft maintenance. During the 1930s, Owens Field had the distinction of hosting many well-known aviators and personalities, including Amelia Earhart and President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. The Curtiss-Wright Hangar is a running bond gray brick structure with a metal-clad barrel roof and is similar in style to other airport hangars built in the twenties. The hangar has a main open storage area for airplanes, which is flanked on either side by flat-roofed wings. The central storage area is about two stories in height, and has a clearance of approximately twenty feet beneath the steel roof girders. Listed in the National Register April 30, 1998. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 30, 1998
Reference number
98000418
NR name
Curtiss--Wright Hangar
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Airplane hanger
Areas of significance
Architecture; Transportation
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Air-related
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
1929
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • October 8, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources