University of Wisconsin Field House

1450 Monroe St., Madison, Wisconsin

Renaissance Revival, sandstone clad, five-story building that housed UW Basketball for decades

Photos 

Overview Looking Northwest

Considered the front fašade, the south face is identical to the north fašade, except you can't see it for the bleachers that are part of Camp Randall Stadium. Note the stone cartouche at the peak of the roof with the "W" emblazoned on it. A matching cartouche is on the north face of the building.

East and west fašades also match each other.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2017

Enlarge

Map 

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 1, 1998
Reference number
98000829
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Italian Renaissance
Areas of significance
Architecture; Entertainment/Recreation
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Sport facility
Current function
Sport facility
Period of significance
1925-1949

Update Log 

  • October 23, 2019: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • August 27, 2017: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status and added photos

Sources 

  • J.R. Manning - Lugnuts969 [at] gmail [dot] com
  • Michael Miller - michael_a_miller [at] yahoo [dot] com
  • National Register database - Reference number 98000829