Hearst San Simeon Estate

Also known as: Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument, La Cuesta Encant
3 mi. NE of San Simeon, San Simeon, California

Photos 

Hearst San Simeon Estate

Photo taken by Richard Doody in 1983

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Begun in 1919, this princely estate situated on La Cuesta Encantada near San Simeon was to be a permanent family residence, a place of retreat, and a showcase for the many art treasures amassed by William Randolf Hearst. With the assistance of architect Julia Morgan, a protege of his mother and graduate of the Paris School of Beaux Arts, Hearst constructed a cluster of buildings that includes the magnificent Hispano-Moresque mansion, La Casa Grande. Hearst expanded the mansion steadily in order to display his ever-growing collection of priceless artifacts. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, May 11, 1976

"HEARST SAN SIMEON STATE HISTORICAL MONUMENT - Here on the historic Rancho Piedra Blanca, between 1919 and 1947, William Randolph Hearst created La Cuesta Encantada (The Enchanted Hill), including La Casa Grande and adjacent buildings with their rare art treasures and beautiful gardens. The Hearst Corporation presented it to the State of California in 1958 as a memorial to William Randolph Hearst, donated in the name of his mother, Phoebe Apperson Hearst." - California Historic Landmark No.640

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 22, 1972
Reference number
72000253
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival; Other architectural type; Mediterranean Renaissance
Areas of significance
Landscape Architecture; Art; Politics/Government; Architecture; Communications; Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Outdoor recreation; Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1950-1974; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1919; 1951
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 4
Contributing structures: 3
Non-contributing buildings: 6

Update Log 

  • March 28, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information
  • July 21, 2018: New photos from Jim Allen
  • June 28, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
  • March 2, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources