New York Public Library and Bryant Park

Avenue of the Americas, 5th Ave., 40th and 42nd Sts., New York, New York

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Completed in 1911, the Library is a Beaux-Arts matsterpiece designed by architects Carrere and Hastings. On either side of a monumental stairway, two stone lions, sculpted by Edward Clark Potter, guard the main entrance to one of the world's great research institutions. The library was formed when several libraries consolidated at the turn of the 20th century. Generous bequests from New Yorkers over the years have endowed it with operating funds and with extensive and invaluable manuscript and rare book collections. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 21, 1965

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000547
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Beaux Arts
Areas of significance
Landscape Architecture; Education; Architecture
Levels of significance
National; Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Park; Library
Current functions
Library; Park
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1925-1949
Significant years
1895; 1911; 1933
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • April 21, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources