Parmly Billings Memorial Library

2822 Montana Ave., Billings, Montana

Photos 

Parmly Billings Memorial Library

View from the west

Photo taken by David Jones in July 2019

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"Parmly Billings Memorial Library, built in 1901, is one of the few remaining older public buildings in the city. Constructed of rubble-faced square sandstone, its massive walls, along with turrets and steep roof, are designed in the Romanesque style. The original roof covering was red Spanish tile. The core building was designed by Charles S. Haire, a partner in Link and Haire, one of Montana’s most significant architectural firms during the first half of the twentieth century. With offices in Billings, Lewistown, Butte, and Helena, Link and Haire designed more than a thousand public, commercial, academic, private, and institutional buildings in the northwestern United States. The library stands on land donated to the city on a ninety-nine-year lease in 1900 by the Northern Pacific Railroad. The building was financed by Frederick Billings, Jr., son of the city’s namesake, in memory of his brother Parmly Billings, a one-time city resident. In 1910, Frederick Billings also financed construction of the east wing, and his sister Elizabeth financed addition of the west wing in 1936." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 26, 1972
Reference number
72000740
Architectural style
Victorian: Romanesque
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Library
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1901

Update Log 

  • August 5, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information
  • July 1, 2019: New photos from David Jones

Sources