Flagg Township Public Library

NE corner 7th St. at 4th Ave., Rochelle, Illinois

Century old library expanded and modernized with great care to preserve the original library.

Photos 

Overview Looking Northwest

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in July 2013

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The library was designed by the Madison architectural firm of Claude & Starck in the mode of the Prairie School of Architecture. Both Louis W. Claude (1868-1951) and Edward F. Starck (1868-1947) worked for some very influential architects before entering into partnership in Madison. They designed numerous institutional buildings, among them are several libraries that share similar designs. This library shares many features with the Claude & Starck design Tomah Public Library in Tomah, Wisconsin. Note the main entrance and the frieze that are virtual twins to the Tomah structure, built four years after this one.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 25, 1973
Reference number
73000713
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Library
Current function
Library
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1912

Update Log 

  • July 23, 2013: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status and Added Photos

Sources