Calhoun County Library

Railroad Ave., St. Matthews, South Carolina

Photo 

Calhoun County Library, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

As one of St. Matthews’ oldest buildings, the Calhoun County Library is significant for its pleasing Greek Revival architectural proportions and its creative use as a public library and museum. The one-story, medium-gabled white clapboard structure was originally built in 1877 as a residence and has been adapted for use since 1949 as a county library. The front façade features a three-bay, square-columned entrance porch, and extending from the left and right wings are two smaller porches of similar design that enhance the building’s symmetry. An L-shaped porch with unadorned square columns extends across the left elevation, a portion of which has been enclosed to meet additional space requirements of the library. It is an excellent example of the adaptive use of a residential structure in an increasingly commercial district. The main entrance is a four-panel double-door with sidelights and fanlight that fill the library’s reading room with abundant natural light. The building sits on a spacious lot near the center of St. Matthews in the original residential district. Listed in the National Register May 29, 1975. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 29, 1975
Reference number
75001690
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current functions
Museum; Library
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
ca. 1877

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 8, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Added "Street View" & "Description"

Sources