A. K. Smiley Public Library

125 W. Vine St., Redlands, California

Map 

Street View 

Description 

"A.K. SMILEY PUBLIC LIBRARY - Albert K. Smiley, a leader of the city's library movement, donated this building and park to the citizens of Redlands in 1898. Through his generosity, Redlands was given one of California's few privately funded libraries of that era. In 1906, he also contributed a wing, built to blend with the original design for this outstanding Mission Revival library." - California Historic Landmark No.994

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 12, 1976
Reference number
76000513
Architectural styles
Victorian; Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Mission/Spanish Revival; Other architectural type; Spanish Revival
Areas of significance
Art; Education; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Library
Current function
Library
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1925-1949
Significant years
1898; 1907; 1920

Update Log 

  • March 28, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information
  • June 9, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources