Carnegie Library Building

Also known as: Carroll County Museum
125 E. 6th St., Carroll, Iowa

Former Carnegie Library now serving as a museum

Photos 

Carroll County Historical Museum

Note the Lincoln Highway Marker to the right of the stairway.

Photo taken by Iowa Lincoln Highway Association

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"The Carnegie Library Building is a rectangular, hip-roofed brick building located across from the Carroll County Courthouse in the center of the town of Carroll. The building is 60' by 38'6", and sits on a lot measuring 78' by 66'. The library is constructed of dark reddishbrick with white sandstone trim. Carved stone panels are located under high, narrow double-hung sash windows; a stone cornice, directly under the roof, is engraved with names of famous writers. The roof is made of clay tile.

"While the low planter-wall in front of the building is laid in American or stretcher bond, the walls of the library itself are laid in Liverpool bond. The arches over the basement windows consist of triple rows of headers. A double row of headers located directly under the first floor stone panels creates a stringcourse. The two sets of triple windows on the main floor are recessed slightly.

"The central doorway area is shielded by a roof made of clay tile. A triple row of headers creates a circular arch over the door. Another prominent feature of this area of the building are the massive stone brackets which support the roof over the doorway.

"The main floor is divided by the central entrance and "rotunda"into two large areas, a book room with library offices at therear, and reading room. The basement is divided by a central hallwayinto storage on one side and a children's library on the other.The interior has not been altered, except for the placement of astairway to the basement to the right of the entrance.

"The Carroll County Historical Society has plans to take over the building and create a museum. Due to urban renewal in Carroll, many of the older buildings in town have been demolished. The library is thus, one of the few structures remaining from the town's past."

Quotation from the National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form prepared by Mrs. Gary Hackett, Secretary, Carroll County Historical Society, dated August 10, 1976. A link to the document can be found below under "Sources".

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 13, 1976
Reference number
76000739
Architectural style
American Movement: Prairie School
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Library
Current function
Library
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1905

Update Log 

  • May 20, 2020: New photos from J.R. Manning
  • May 20, 2020: Updated by J.R. Manning: Added description and photos

Sources