Stinson Memorial Library

Also known as: Stinson Library
409 S. Main St., Anna, Illinois

Prairie School public library in Anna

Photos 

Overview

Photo taken by James Baughn

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Significance: The Stinson Public Library, Anna, Illinois, was designed by Walter Burley Griffin, architect. Opened to the public on March 30, 1914, the building is a memorial to Col. Robert Burns Stinson, Civil War officer. The building was erected and has been received on a $50,082 bequest left by Col. Stinson at his death in 1903. The exterior of the building is local split-faced fieldstone with concrete colored sand plaster and dark stained woodwork and trim. Windows are leaded glass. The building has continuously remained under control of a board of trustees appointed by the City of Anna, Illinois. (Taken from HABS IL-1108)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 9, 1978
Reference number
78001193
Architectural style
American Movement: Prairie School
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Library
Current function
Library
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1913
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Sources