People's Free Library of South Carolina

Church St., Lowrys, South Carolina

Library in Lowrys, SC

Photo 

People's Free Library of SC

Photo taken by Michael Miller

Enlarge

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Description 

The People’s Free Library of South Carolina was established in 1903-04 by Dr. Delano Fitzgerald, a winter resident of Lowrys, and the small frame building was completed ca. 1904. Fitzgerald was a Baltimore, Maryland pharmacist who wintered in Lowrys to take advantage of the fine hunting in the area. The library made a significant contribution to the cultural and intellectual development of Lowrys and the surrounding areas between 1904 and 1954 and continues to serve as a museum and community landmark. The library operated a travelling library service from 1904 until at least 1909, perhaps the first such service in the state. The library is a small, one-story building with a single room. The building is rectangular with a gable roof, weatherboard siding, and stone foundation piers. A wooden porch spans the façade and the right side. The porch has chamfered wooden posts with reeding and sawn brackets and a balustrade with turned balusters. Listed in the National Register October 29, 1982.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 29, 1982
Reference number
82001520
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Library
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
ca. 1904

Update Log 

  • December 20, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview", Updated "GPS Coordinates"

Sources