Ericson Public Library

702 Greene St., Boone, Iowa

Photos 

Overview Looking Northwest

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in May 2014

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The roots of the Boone library go back to a "free reading room" that was established by Boone residents in 1885. In 1889, the room was given to the city as the basis of a public library. Senator C.J. A. Ericson of Boone gave the city a building in 1901 that would become the library. In 1923, a significant donation by Rena Ericson, Senator Ericson's daughter, allowed expansion of the building. The library was enlarged again and remodeled in 1993.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 23, 1983
Reference number
83000344
Architectural style
Victorian: Renaissance
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Levels of significance
State; Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Library
Current function
Library
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1900; 1901

Update Log 

  • June 4, 2014: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status and Added Photos

Sources