Dwight T. Parker Public Library
925 Lincoln Ave., Fennimore, Wisconsin
Two story, Italianate brick building with red tile roof and Terra Cotta ornamentation.
Overview Looking Southeast
Photo taken by J.R. Manning
+42.98338, -90.6551442°59'00" N, 90°39'18" W
The Fennimore Public Library opened in 1849 but always operated out of borrowed space. In 1924, local banker, Dwight T. Parker, donated the sum of $35,000 to build a library in a suitable site that would be the pride of Fennimore.
The result is this two-story, brick rectangular building. Distinctive wide overhanging eaves support a hipped roof with red clay tile. The main entrance is pedimented the projecting entry decor is Terra Cotta. There are two sets of three round-headed windows on each side of the entryway that are repeated on the north elevation. The windows feature Terra Cotta colonettes and bracketed sills.
It is a beautiful and distinctive building, still serving the community, in its original function, almost 90 years later.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 10, 1983
- Reference number
- NR name
- Parker, Dwight T., Public Library
- Architectural styles
- Late 19th and 20th Century Revival; Other architectural type; Mediterranean-Classical
- Area of significance
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic function
- Current function
- Period of significance
- Significant year