Free Public Library of Kaukauna
111 Main Ave., Kaukauna, Wisconsin
Claude & Starck designed Carnegie Library
This is the northeast wing of the original building. To the left is the original main entrance, the modern addition and new main entrance is to the right.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in May 2015
+44.27949, -88.2705044°16'46" N, 88°16'14" W
Kaukauna is divided by the Fox River, further divisions include the Meade & Edwards Water Power Canal and the navigation canal that leads to the five Kaukauna Locks
. To better serve the two halves of the growing community, public buildings were developed on an island between the power channel and Fox River.
The library was built on the island in 1905 followed by the high school, municipal building and post office.
The library was funded by Andrew Carnegie. It was designed by Claude and Starck, as were several libraries. It features decorative half-timbering and wide overhanging eaves with brackets. Even though the library was expanded, the modern addition maintained most of the features and charm of the original building.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 29, 1984
- Reference number
- Architectural style
- American Movement: Prairie School
- Areas of significance
- Community Planning and Development; Education
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event
- Property type
- Historic function
- Current function
- Periods of significance
- 1900-1924; 1925-1949
- Significant years
- 1905; 1933
- May 8, 2015: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status, Added Description and Added Photos