Carnegie Free Library
Also known as: Carnegie Public Library; Sturgeon Bay Old Library; Stangle Accounting and Tax Service, S.C.354 Michigan St., Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
Former Carnegie Library now serving an accounting firm as an office building
Overview Looking West
It's back there, behind the trees. This building is well hidden on all sides by foliage, and closer up with ivy.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in September 2015
+44.83480, -87.3755644°50'05" N, 87°22'32" W
The Sturgeon Bay Library was voted into existence in 1866 and was housed in various locations until 1911, when Andrew Carnegie made a donation to the city to construct this building. The library opened in this building in 1913.
It served the community until the library outgrew the library building. A new library, located a block to the southeast, opened in 1974.
The Carnegie Library building was placed on the NRHP in 1988.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 29, 1988
- Reference number
- Architectural style
- Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
- Areas of significance
- Education; Architecture
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event; C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic function
- Current function
- Periods of significance
- 1900-1924; 1925-1949
- Significant year
- September 22, 2015: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status and Added Photos