Waupaca Free Public Library

Also known as: Holly History and Genealogy Center
321 S. Main St., Waupaca, Wisconsin

Library built with a grant from Andrew Carnegie

Photos 

Overview Looking Northeast

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in July 2016

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Considered the southern end of Waupaca's downtown area, the library was designed to blend in with the residences that continue to the south. The building is sometimes mistaken for a dwelling. The building uses some features of an English Tudor but also shows influence from America's Arts and Crafts movement. Leaded glass windows adorn the building.

The library opened here in 1914 and remained here until 1993 when a new library was built a few blocks north as part of the Waupaca Civic Center. The historical society purchased the building in 2001 and it now operates as a museum and research facility.

The building was designed by Albert Edward Parkinson and Bernard Joseph Dockendorff, who were educated in Europe but operated out of La Crosse, Wisconsin. They are credited with over 800 public building designs over their 47 year partnership, but also designed residences. The significance of their influence in architecture is demonstrated by several of their designs listed on the NRHP.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 28, 1996
Reference number
96000732
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Tudor Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Education
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Library
Periods of significance
1925-1949; 1900-1924
Significant year
1914

Update Log 

  • August 2, 2016: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description and added photos

Sources