Camp Chase Cemetery

2900 Sullivant Ave., Columbus, OH

Confederate cemetery located on the west side of Columbus

Photos 

Historical marker - side 1

Faces east

Photo taken by Brian Manville on November 24, 2017

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Confederate cemetery marks the place where a prisoner of war camp stood. In May 1861, a Union military training ground was established here under the name Camp Jackson; by July of that year, when the first prisoners were admitted, its name had been changed to honor President Lincoln's Secretary of State (and later Chief Justice of the Supreme Court) Salmon P. Chase.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 11, 1973
Reference number
73001434
NR name
Camp Chase Site
Areas of significance
Military; Politics/Government
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Site
Historic functions
Correctional facility; Military facility
Current function
Cemetery
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1861; 1865
Number of properties
Contributing structures: 2
Contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • November 24, 2017: New photos from Brian Manville
  • November 22, 2017: Updated by Brian Manville: Added street view