Guillebeau House

Hickory Knob State Park, Willington, South Carolina

Photos 

Front

Photo taken by Michael Miller in November 2018

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The Guillebeau House is a good example of Southern eighteenth-century pioneer construction. Built on the double pen house plan developed extensively in the South, the house has one exterior chimney and two front entrances. The shed roof porch across the front, originally open, has been enclosed at either end to provide additional rooms. The walls are constructed of hand-hewn logs with mortise and tenon joints with filling between the logs. French Huguenot settler Andre Guillebeau (1739-1814) built this house shortly after his arrival at New Bordeaux, an upcountry Huguenot settlement, in August 1764. He served in the American militia under Captain Joseph Bouchilon during the American Revolution. The house was subsequently owned by Andreís son Peter (1769-1854) and then by Peterís son Peter (1812-1891). According to Peterís will there was a 400-acre tract surrounding the house. The family cemetery is included in the nominated acreage. The house was moved to Hickory Knob State Park ca. 1983. Listed in the National Register March 7, 1973. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 7, 1973
Reference number
73002136
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Log building
Areas of significance
Military; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Cemetery; Single dwelling
Current function
Cemetery
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1764; 1779; 1782
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • November 7, 2018: New photos from Michael Miller
  • September 25, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description", Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Imported Photo
  • September 25, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources