Camp Nichols

Also known as: Camp Nichols Ranch
3 mi. NE of Wheeless on Ranch Rd., Wheeless, Oklahoma

Map 

Description 

Camp Nichols, stablished by Kit Carson in 1865 to offer protection to wagon trains using the Cimarron Cutoff of the Santa Fe Trail, was the most important Santa Fe Trail site in Oklahoma. At its height in included some 25 buildings of local sandstone, adobe and sod, but now only ruins remain. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, May 23, 1963

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000628
Areas of significance
Transportation; Exploration/Settlement
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Site
Historic functions
Road-related; Camp
Current function
Agricultural fields
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1865