Alexander House

Also known as: Alexander Music House, The Inn On Main
319 E. Main St., Spartanburg, South Carolina

Historic home in Spartanburg, SC

Photo 

Alexander House

Photo taken by Michael Miller

Enlarge

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Alexander House is significant as an outstanding example of Neo-Classical residential architecture and for its association with Alonzo Marshall Alexander, a prominent early twentieth century merchant with extensive business interests in Spartanburg and throughout the South Carolina upcountry. The two-story frame and weatherboard house was built in 1904. It was designed for John A. Walker, a merchant who owned a shoe store on Spartanburg’s Morgan Square, by Leland P. Epton and Thomas Keating, architects and real estate developers who were partners in Spartanburg 1903-05. In 1905 Walker sold the house to W.C. Carrington, a Spartanburg salesman, who sold it to Alonzo Marshall Alexander for $10,000 in 1907. The house remained in the Alexander family until 1997. Notable exterior features include a full-height entry porch with lower full-width porch and oversized one-over-one double-hung window sashes. Notable interior features include an original ornate wooden stairway, leaded glass windows, dentiled cornices and original mantels. Epton and Keating may have taken their design inspiration from Design No. 199 and Floor Plan No. 188 in George Barber’s pattern book of 1903. In 1969 the residence was converted by Alexander’s grandson to a musical instruments store. Listed in the National Register April 11, 2003. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 11, 2003
Reference number
03000205
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant year
1904
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • November 6, 2013: New photo from Michael Miller
  • October 22, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Names", "Description" & "Overview"

Sources