Charles and Mary Ann (Molly) Goodnight Ranch House

US287 and 5000 Blk. Cty Rd. 25, Goodnight, Texas

Map 

Description 

Goodnight established the first Texas Panhandle ranch in 1876, which today is known as the JA Ranch. He lived at the JA with his wife Mary from 1879-1888. He sold his interest in the JA to Mrs. Cornelia Adair and bought the ranch at Goodnight, the town being named for him. He and his wife established Goodnight College in 1898 and it operated until 1917. Goodnight remained the dominant force in the community until his death in 1929... -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS TX-3529)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 20, 2007
Reference number
07000988
NR name
Goodnight, Charles and Mary Ann (Molly), Ranch House
Architectural styles
Victorian; Victorian: Queen Anne
Areas of significance
Exploration/Settlement; Commerce; Agriculture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant year
1888
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 4
Non-contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • August 20, 2017: Updated by Bill Eichelberger: Mapped landmark

Sources