Brandt House

Also known as: Brandt-Quirk House
410 S. 4th St., Watertown, Wisconsin


East Elevation

Frederick William Brandt built this house ca. 1861. He had moved to Watertown in 1853 and opened a dry goods store on the southeast corner of Third and Main Streets.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Remember, these homes are privately owned and occupied. They are NOT open to the general public. PLEASE respect the privacy rights of these owners. Remain on public throughfares and DO NOT trespass!

Photo taken by J.R. Manning


Edward Julius Brandt 

Written by J.R. Manning

Edward Julius Brandt, the youngest son of the home's builder, Frederick William Brandt, worked as a cashier at the Bank of Watertown in the late 19th Century. Mr. Brandt was tasked with numerous cashiering tasks, including preparing payrolls for a large railroad.

Mr. Brandt was concerned with the amount of coinage that was handled and the potential for errors. A tinkerer who had built several mechanical devices in his spare time, Mr. Brandt began to conceive a coin-handling machine. In 1895, he built a prototype that automatically dispensed the least number of coins required to reach a sum, and it soon was in use in the bank. (According to the Watertown Historical Society, the machine was still in use as late as 1921.)

Mr. Brandt went on to found Brandt, Incorporated in Watertown. Brandt, Inc. built coin dispensers and went on to build coin sorters, cash counters, coin rollers and other high-speed money handling machinery. The company has changed owners several times since the Brandt-Quirk family sold their interests in the company, but the plant still operates in Watertown as part of the Tolaris family of cash-handling machines.

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 2, 2008
Reference number
Architectural styles
Victorian: Italianate; Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival
Area of significance
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • June 19, 2011: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status and GPS
  • July 21, 2010: Essay added by J.R. Manning
  • July 21, 2010: New photos from J.R. Manning