MacPheadris--Warner House

Also known as: The Warner House
150 Daniel St., Portsmouth, New Hampshire

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Constructed in 1718-1723 for local merchant Archibald MacPheadris, this is one of New England's finest early Georgian brick houses. It was also one of the most ambitious houses of its time and place. Its lightning rod, likely the first in the area, was installed under the direction of Benjamin Franklin, and the stair hall contains unusual wall murals depicting Native Americans. Royal Governor Benning Wentworth lived here from 1741 to 1753. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, October 9, 1960

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000028
Architectural style
Georgian
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1700-1749
Significant years
1718; 1723