J. L. M. Curry House

Also known as: Jabez Lamar Monroe Curry House
3 mi. NE of Talladega on AL 21, Talladega, Alabama

Photos 

Burt House

1. Historic American Buildings Survey Alex Bush, Photographer, February 2, 1937 SOUTH (FRONT) AND WEST ELEVATION

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

From 1850 to 1865, this was the home of Jabez Lamar Monroe Curry (1825-1903), politician, diplomat, and educator. An enthusiastic advocate of universal education, Curry, through his work as agent for the George Peabody Education Fund (which promoted "intellectual, moral, or industrial education among the young of the more destitute portions of the Southern and Southwest States") and the John F. Slater Fund (for the education of "the lately emancipated population of the Southern states"), did more than any other man to encourage the expansion and improvement of the public school system and the establishment of training schools for teachers throughout the South. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 21, 1965

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000154
NR name
Curry, J. L. M., House
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Area of significance
Education
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1850; 1865