San Bernardino Ranch

Also known as: John Slaughter Ranch
17 mi. E of Douglas on the international boundary, Douglas, Arizona

Photo 

San Bern NHL HQ

By National Park Service - http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NHLS/Photos/66000170.pdf, Public Domain, Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The center of a cattle ranching empire that straddled the U.S.-Mexico border, this ranch illustrates the continuity of Spanish and American cattle ranching in the Southwest. Until late in the 19th century, the San Bernardino Valley, a well-watered area occupying southern Arizona and northern Mexico, was not successfull occupied by Europeans due to the threat of Apache attack; in 1884, however, John H. Slaughter, a Texas cattle rancher, leased a portion of the Mexican land grant and began the development of a ranch that would span up to 100,000 acres, supplying beef, fruits, and vegetables to the surrounding settlements and military posts. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, July 19, 1964

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000170
Areas of significance
Military; Transportation; Exploration/Settlement; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction; B - Person; D - Information Potential
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Animal facility; Secondary structure
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1750-1799; 1825-1849
Significant years
1822; 1846; 1855
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 10
Contributing sites: 11

Update Log 

  • June 15, 2018: New photo from Bill Eichelberger

Sources