Sierra Bonita Ranch

Also known as: The Hooker Ranch
SW of Bonita, Bonita, Arizona

Map 

Description 

Founded in 1872 by Col. Henry C. Hooker to supply beef to Army posts, mining camps, and Indian agencies, this was the first permanent American cattle ranch in Arizona, as well as the first to introduce graded stock into the territory. On the site of a former Spanish hacienda which had been destroyed by the Apache in the early 1800s, Hooker erected an adobe fortress to fend off attacks by first the Apache and later the cutthroats and rustlers of Sulphur Springs Valley. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, July 19, 1964

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000181
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Hacienda
Area of significance
Agriculture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Agricultural outbuildings
Current functions
Single dwelling; Agricultural outbuildings
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1872; 1897; 1907
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3
Contributing structures: 2

Tags 

19th Century (36,828)
Adobe (574)
Arizona (1,451)
Bonita, Arizona (3)
Built 1872 (421)
Built during 1870s (4,894)
Col. Henry C. Hooker (1)
House (27,038)
National Historic Landmark (2,195)
Private owner (54,396)
Tin (2,648)