John Deere House and Shop

Illinois and Clinton Sts., Grand Detour, Illinois

John Deere's Blacksmith Shop, The Beginning of the John Deere Company

Photos 

The site is maintained by the state parks department and is open during the summer.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in April 2014

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

From 1836 to 1847, this was the home and shop of John Deere (1804-1886), a skilled blacksmith who invented and manufactured a steel plow that could scour the tough prairie soil cleanly, unlike other plows that became clogged with the dark, rich soil. Deere's farm implement thus made possible intensive cultivation of vast acres in Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois possible, bringing benefit to the entire country. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, July 19, 1964

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000327
NR name
Deere, John, House and Shop
Areas of significance
Invention; Agriculture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Business
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant years
1836; 1847
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • April 25, 2014: New photos from Steve Conro
  • April 24, 2014: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status and Added Photo

Sources