Players, The

Also known as: The Players Club
16 Gramercy Park, New York, New York

Map 

Description 

This handsome brownstone residence was purchased in 1888 and donated by Edwin Booth, founder and first president of the Players Club, to be a clubhouse for his fellow thespians. He commissioned architect Stanford White to transform it into a clubhouse. Booth also contributed his books and memorabilia, which became the nucleus of a fine and rare collection of theatrical literature and memorabilia. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 29, 1962

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000549
Architectural style
Victorian: Renaissance
Area of significance
Performing Arts
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current functions
Civic; Multiple dwelling
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1888