Hermitage, The

Also known as: Home of Andrew Jackson
12 mi. E of Nashville on U.S. 70N, Nashville, Tennessee

Photos 

The Hermitage

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Hermitage and five hundred acres of adjoining land were bought by the State in 1856. It is believed that the brick building was begun in 1818. There is no record of the architect. ... Much furniture and equipment was brought back from Pensacola, Florida, when General Jackson was appointed Governor of the Floridas. In 1824 the chapel was built, most of the work having been done while General Jackson was in Washington as senator from Tennessee. The Hermitage is owned by the state of Tennessee and is under the control of the Ladies' Hermitage Association. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS TN-52)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000722
Areas of significance
Military; Politics/Government
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1800-1824; 1825-1849
Significant years
1804; 1845
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 9
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 5

Update Log 

  • February 11, 2020: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources