J A Ranch

Also known as: Goodnight Ranch
Palo Duro Canyon, Palo Duro, Texas

Photos 

Main House

Photo taken by Guy R. Giersch for Historic American Engineering Record in February 2000

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

Between 1879 and 1889, under the direction of Charles Goodnight (1836-1929), the J A Ranch grew to encompass 700,000 acres of grassland supporting 40,000 head of cattle. Goodnight, a pioneer cattleman and the first rancher in the Texas Panhandle, is recognized for his scientific cattle breeding. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 19, 1960

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000807
Area of significance
Commerce
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Agricultural outbuildings; Animal facility
Current functions
Animal facility; Agricultural outbuildings
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant years
1879; 1889
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 5
Contributing structures: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • July 22, 2010: New photos from Rick Mattioni

Sources