Woodrow Wilson House

2340 S St., NW, Washington, District of Columbia

Photos 

PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF MAIN ELEVATION

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

The Woodraw Wilson House was the Home of Thomas Woodrow Wilson 28th president of the United States from the end of his second term of office on March 4, 1921 until his death on February 3, 1924. Designed by Washington Architect Waddy Butler Wood in 1915 and built in 1915-16 for Businessman Henry Parker Fairbanks. This townhouse is a distinguished example of the adamesque mode of the Georgian revival style especially popular at that time in the Kalorama Neighborhood of Washington. it appealed to Mrs. Wilson, who was seeking a house to which the President could retire after his second term, as "an unpretentious, comfortable, dignified house fitted to the needs of a gentleman.'" She told her husband about her find but was completely surprised when on their fifth wedding anniversary on December 18, 1920, he took her to the house and following a Scottish custom presented her with a piece of sod from the garden and a key to the front door... -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS DC-133)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000873
NR name
Wilson, Woodrow, House
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival; Other architectural type; Georgian Revival
Area of significance
Politics/Government
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1921; 1924

Update Log 

  • May 12, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources