Washington's Headquarters

Also known as: Hasbrouck House
Liberty and Washington Sts., Newburgh, New York

Photos 

Historic American Buildings Survey (Fed.), Stanley P. Mixon, Photographer July 23, 1940, (A) EXTERIOR, VIEW OF WEST ELEVATION, FROM SOUTH WEST.

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

This Dutch Colonial fieldstone residence was used by Washington from April 1, 1782, to August 19, 1783, during the closing days of the Revolution. Here he drafted crucial documents that laid the foundation for the new nation's orderly transition from war to peace. The house is also noteworthy for its role in historic preservation. In 1850 it became the first bnuilding in the country purchased by a state for the specific purpose of preserving it as a historic property. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, January 20, 1961

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000887
Architectural styles
Colonial; Other architectural type; Dutch Colonial
Areas of significance
Military; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1750; 1782; 1783

Update Log 

  • July 1, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources