Chateau-sur-Mer

Also known as: Wetmore House
424 Bellevue Ave., Newport, Rhode Island

Photos 

Chateau-sur-Mer

1. VIEW FROM THE WEST

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

"Chateau-sur-Mer," its lodge, entrance arch, and greenhouse were built in 1851-1852 by the Newport contractor Seth C. Bradford for William Shepard Wetmore, merchant in the China trade. His son, George Peabody Wetmore, greatly enlarged the house in successive major campaigns in the 1870s and 1880s under Richard Morris Hunt, with interior decoration by Luigi Frullini. Wetmore further developed the outbuildings and grounds. His daughters, Edith and Maude Wetmore, maintained the house in proper style until their deaths. The estate was sold at auction in 1969 to The Preservation Society of Newport County. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS RI-313)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 8, 1968
Reference number
68000002
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1851; 1870; 1900
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 4
Contributing structures: 3
Non-contributing buildings: 3
Non-contributing objects: 3

Update Log 

  • April 18, 2017: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Added "Street View"

Sources