Mission House

Main St., Stockbridge, Massachusetts

Photo 

Mission House

Photo taken by Richard Doody in 1990

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

A 2-1/2-story frame structure, erected in 1739 by John Sergeant, first missionary to the Mohican Indians. An important example of Georgian architecture on the New England frontier, it was designed for use both as a home for his bride and as a place to meet with Native American converts. This landmark is an excellent example of a Colonial Revival restoration of the 1920s. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, November 24, 1968

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 24, 1968
Reference number
68000038
Architectural style
Georgian
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1700-1749
Significant years
1739; 1928

Update Log 

  • May 9, 2018: New photo from Richard Doody

Sources