Carter's Grove

Also known as: Carter's Grove Plantation
SE of jct. of Rte. 667 and U.S. 60, Williamsburg, Virginia

Photos 

Carter's Grove

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

Carter's Grove was built by Carter Burwell, grandson of Robert "King" Carter, between 1749 and 1756. David Minetree, a Williamsburg brick mason, was the master builder; John Wheatley of Williamsburg was the carpenter. Richard Baylis was brought from England in 1752 to complete the interior woodwork. The Burwell family owned Carter's Grove until 1838. Thereafter it belonged to a succession of owners. T.P. Bisland connected the kitchen to the main house and made other alterations in 1907. In 1928 Mr. and Mrs. Archibald M. McCrea with W. Duncan Lee, architect, raised the roof, adding a third floor; widened the kitchen and office; and connected both dependencies to the main house. The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation now owns Carter's Grove. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS VA-351)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 12, 1969
Reference number
69000249
Architectural styles
Colonial; Other architectural type; Southern colonial
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current functions
Museum; Single dwelling
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1750; 1753
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3