Brandon

Also known as: Brandon Plantation, Lower Brandon
W bank of the James River at the end of Rte. 611, Burrowsville, Virginia

Photo 

Brandon

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

A plantation with many acres of farmland, woodland, and gardens, Brandon contains a main house which is an excellent example of a brick plantation house in a variant of the English Palladian style, differing from early and middle-Georgian houses in its extended, multiple part composition. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, April 15, 1970

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 12, 1969
Reference number
69000271
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Roman country house
Areas of significance
Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1765; 1770
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 4
Contributing structures: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 2