Arnold, Israel, House

600 Great Rd., Lincoln, Rhode Island

Map 

Street View 

Description 

In Lincoln Woods, on Great Road to Mendon west of Lonsdale stands the Israel Arnold House. The early part of this building, a one-room gambrel-roofed dwelling with an exposed end chimney of brick, was built by a member of the Olney family around 1695. Early in the the nineteenth century Israel Arnold married Deborah Olney and the house has since remained in Arnold hands. The fourth Israel Arnold owns the house today. A two-story center chimney house was added before the Revolution and affords an interesting comparison with the style of the earlier building. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS RI-91)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 18, 1970
Reference number
70000017
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1700-1749; 1750-1799
Significant years
1720; 1760

Update Log 

  • December 15, 2017: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett

Sources