Wood, Temple style house of the Greek Revival period
"The house was built, probably in 1840, by Judge Joseph Penn Arndt for his son-in-law, Lieutenant John Cotton, a West Point graduate who was stationed for a time at Fort Howard in Green Bay beginning in 1824. He married Judge Arndt's daughter Mary in 1825, and from 1826 until 1848 they were located at various military posts from the southeast to mid-continental United States. Cotton is credited for the style of the house, having done wide research in architectural styles during his army travels and deciding that his future home would be Greek Temple in design.
"In 1941 the house was moved from its original site about one mile away to the site of old Camp Smith and placed atop a hill where it has an imposing overview of the Fox River. It was during the move that the date 1840 was found inscribed above the doorway, indicating that the house was built in or before that year."
Quoted from the National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form prepared by J. D. N. Anderson, Assistant Director Historic Sites, State Historical Society of Wisconsin, January 15, 1970. A link to the document is listed below under "Sources."